What’s your learning style?
What does this mean?
Theorists like to adapt and integrate observations into complex and logically sound theories. They think problems through step- by-step. They tend to be perfectionists who like to fit things into a rational scheme.
Theorists learn best when:
- put in complex situations where they have to use their skills and knowledge they are in structured situations with clear purpose.
- they are offered interesting ideas or concepts even though they are not immediately relevant they have the chance to question and probe ideas.
- Theorists learn less when:they have to participate in situations which emphasise emotion and feelings the activity is unstructured or briefing is poor they have to do things without knowing the principles or concepts involved.
- they feel they’re out of tune with the other participants, for example people with different learning styles.
Try the Learning Styles Questionnaire here.
I think just by reading the statements that explain each type of result, that I would have gathered that I would come under ‘Theorist’ (I mean… just look at my Blog name). I’m glad I did this test cause it has made me relies these points about myself.
Although having had met up with my study group several times, I didn’t feel as though I knew them well enough to pass judgement. If I had to guess who was what, I think I wouldn’t have got anywhere near. Frankly, I would be happy with being able to remember everyone’s names. Luckily, I have the true results here:
- Calum: Activist/Reflector
- Connor: Activist/Pragmatist
- Douglas: Theorist
- Judith: Activist
- Suzanne: Reflector/Theroist
- Qing: Activist/Reflector
- Quan: Activist/Reflector
I believe we have a mixed bag, which should be a good thing. Although heavily activists, I believe its better that than having a group full of theorists and reflectors. Otherwise, we’d just end up tip toeing around each other, not challenging our ideas and not having any activists to be enthusiastic and lead discussions. After finding out the results, it seems more obvious what everyone is. I don’t know why I though I would offend anyone by guessing wrong.